10 May 1948 - 14 September 1998
Hazel at Mount Wilson, where her ashes are now buried.
From Hazel's Fortieth in 1988 and on ...
I thought that it would be of interest to record the progress of Hazel's disease, in the manner of Alan Shapiro's memoire of his sister Ruth's cancer in Vigil (University of Chicago Press, 1997) and Ruth Picardie's much more moving diary Before I Say Goodbye (Penguin, 1998).
Since Hazel didn't send many emails, almost all entries are by me, Rob, with two exceptions: the first, in which Hazel writes about her fortieth birthday, and one in mid-1994, in which Hazel writes about the initial diagnosis and her response.
- Hazel turns fifty, May 1998
- Hazel comes home to die, August 1998
- Hazel weakens, September 5, 1998
- Hazel is sliding, September 14, 1998
- It is over, September 15, 1998
- Three and a half years later, March, 2002, an unfinished annual letter.
- Four years later Zoë remembers the day Hazel died, October, 2002
Please feel free to email me, Robert.
| Up |
Last Updated 1 June 2000