Taken before Zoë’s fourth birthday party in December, 1994.
“But what the wisdom of the ages says is that we do not do well to grieve on and on. And those old ones knew a thing or two and had some truth to tell, Inman said, for you can grieve your heart out and in the end you are still where you were. All your grief hasn’t changed a thing. What you have lost will not be returned to you. It will always be lost. You’re left only with your scars to mark the void. All you can choose to do is go on or not. But if you go on, it’s knowing you carry your scars with you.”
— Charles Frazier, Cold Mountain, 1997, penultimate chapter.
The following pages are devoted to the memory of Hazel, loving partner of Robert, and doting mother of Joshua and Zoë. The pages will take some time to fill up, so bear with me. In the meantime, the pages covering Hazel’s funeral are complete, containing the full text of the spoken and read words, as well as sound files of the choir singing, of Robert reading a poem. and of the Reverend Lambert Carter reading a letter written by a deceased parishioner of his to her husband. I plan to include the following:
- Hazel’s curriculum vitæ, written in early 1990, with a two-page description of her career since 1970. Found on Rob’s Unix archive. (In Acrobat PDF format.) 15/11/01
At some later time, Hazel left the National Crime Authority and joined the Sydney office of the Australian Government Solicitor’s Office, in the Commonwealth Attorney-General’s Department, whence she took medical retirement in late 1995.
- A selection of Hazel’s writings and travel diaries. Letters, cards, recipes, jottings, legal writings, and travel writings. 4/6/00
I welcome any letters or postcards that Hazel may have sent you: I’ll photocopy and return. If you wish that they remain private to the family, I shall honour that request, and not place them on-line.
- A gallery of images of Hazel, including a QT video of her playing tennis in December 1994 and other video clips of dancing at the last party in California in August 1993. 6/5/99
- An audio message Hazel taped for the children in May, 1998 5/11/98
- From Hazel’s fortieth birthday in 1988 and on ... Emails from Rob over the years. 1/6/00
- The funeral 2/11/98
- Condolences with links to reminiscences of Hazel 20/09/00
(For novices to the Web, click on the coloured words/phrases to jump to the item described. These are hypertext links.)
For information on how I created these pages, see my notes.
In the meantime, please feel free to email me, Robert.
| Up |
Last updated 31 July 2002