The Integrative Program, Business Ethics, is an elective IP in the full-time MBA at the AGSM. It is taught by Associate Professor Damian Grace and Professor Robert Marks.
- 2005 Course Outline here (PDF)
2005 Course Outline here (HTML)
- Ethical dilemmas:
- Ethical dilemmas suggested by the 2005 class here
- Ethical dilemmas suggested by an earlier class here
- Ethical dilemmas that were faced by readers of a newspaper Dear Mr Ethicist column here
- A list of 14 cases to be answered in teams here
- A glossary of ethical terms here, from U Nebraska.
Lectures and Cases
Day 1: Introduction -- Ethics, Economics, and Business.
- Introductory Lecture -- REM OH || Printable
- The Moral (PDF)
- Monday's lectures (PPT) -- DG
- Basic Ethics -- DG
- The Bayer article
- The 9/11 Report
- A Roundtable at the GSB Stanford with Milton Friedman, 2000 including transcripts and audio.
Day 2: Ethical issues in corporations.
- Tuesday's lectures (PPT) -- DG
- Poster: Conflict of interest
- Four triggers
- External costs graphs
- Poster: A corporate conscience?
- Case: Discrimination at Telstra (PDF)
- Case: BHP Ok Tedi (PDF)
- Case: The Exxon Valdez (PDF)
- Case: Ethical marketing? (PDF)
- Case: Bouncy Baby (PDF)
- Case: The Industrial Products Company (PDF)
Day 3: International business & ethical relativism
- Wednesday's lectures (PPT) -- DG
- Notes on Corporate Government
- Corporate Collapse
- ASX Corporate Government notes
- Alan Greenspan on Corporate Governance
- Corporate Governance International
- Transparency International's Corruption Surveys
Day 4: Corporate Governance, Enron, and The Economists' Views
- Notes on Confucian ethics OH || Printable
- The ethics of Confucius, a summary
- The Hundred Schools of Thought, including Kong Zi (Confucius).
- A further discussion of Confucius' ideas
- Notes on ethics from the Indian tradition:
Day 5: Implementation -- Structuring ethics in organisations
2005 Team Presentations:
- Friday's lectures (PPT) -- DG
- Ethics quiz (PDF)
- Case: Whistleblowing (PDF)
- TIME Magazine's Persons of the Year 2002:
the Enron, Worldcom, and FBI whistleblowers (HTML): and Here; Sherron Watkins; Sherron again; the three interviewed; Sherron Watkins' thoughts on Ken Lay's guilty verdict, 2006.
- British Money in Asian Pulp & Paper (PPT)
- Oil Concessions in Angola (PPT)
- Redundancy in a Cold Climate (PPT)
- Monitoring Financial and Social Conduct (PPT)
- Supply Chain Management -- GM and Nike (PPT)
- Philip Morris (PPT)
- Fair Trade (PPT)
- A CEO -- a Chief Ethics Officer? (PPT)
Writing aids (look at these for your essay):
- Case: Vermont Businesses for Social Responsibility (PDF)
- Case: A Hippocratic Oath for Business? (PDF)
- Link to a trailer of the new movie, Enron: The Smartest Guys In The Room
- Link to the movie's web site
- A timeline of Enron's fall
- Graphics on Enron
- Link to the Enron tapes. See the transcript of or listen to SNO-224 for the (profane) smoking gun.
- An interview with Alex Gibney, the movie's director.
- Link to the Jackson Report on James Hardie and its foundation. (Report of the Special Commission of Inquiry Into the Medical Research and Compensation Foundation)
- Other movie trailers:
- Links to other Business Ethics sites
Photos of the 2002 Ethics Laboratory in session (and more):
- Damian lectures
- Bob & Damian
- Hamish M., Mark, Robin, Peter, Harold
- Phillip, Robin, Hamish F., Soula, Steven, Thomas, Alan
- Damian lectures
- Bob & Damian
Doing well by doing good: A poem.
Last Updated 9 September, 2005 Robert Marks, email@example.com