Robert Marks, AGSM, September, 2009
Mngt 5192 BUSINESS ETHICS
Course Outline Here.
Contents of Readings CD:
- Malcolm Knox, Reasons for honour in a godless society, Sydney Morning Herald, April 29, 2009. Here.
- Joseph Badaracco, The discipline of building character, HBR, March−April, 1998. Here.
- Michael Bratman, What does it mean? How do you know? The Stanford Observer, Nov. 1981. Here.
- Stephen J. Dubner and Steven D. Levitt, What the bagelman saw, NYT, June 6, 2004 Here.
- Albert Carr, Is business bluffing ethical? HBR, Jan-Feb., pp. 143-153, 1968. Here.
- Damian Grace’s summary of Robert Jackall’s Moral Mazes, 1988. Here.
- John Tierney, Deep down, we can’t fool even ourselves, New York Times, July 1, 2008. Here.
- Michael Lewis, The irresponsible investor, NYT, June 6, 2004. Here.
- Rushworth Kidder reviews a new book, Can profits and ethics coexist? The Christian Science Monitor, 18 July 2006. Here.
Homework for Week 2 Here.
- Milton Friedman, The social responsibility of business is to increase its profits, New York Times Magazine, Sept. 13, 1970. Here.
- Rethinking the Social Responsibility of Business: A Reason debate featuring Milton Friedman, Whole Foods’ John Mackey, and Cypress Semiconductor’s T.J. Rodgers, 2005. Here. http://www.reason.com/news/show/32239.html
- John Kay, The rôle of business in society, 03 February1998. http://www.johnkay.com/print/133.html Here.
- David Ash, Curtains for the corporate veil, Sydney Morning Herald, April 18, 2009. Here.
- Amartya Sen, Does business ethics make economic sense? Business Ethics Quarterly, 3: 45−54, 1993. Here.
- Landon Thomas Jr. and Micheline Maynard, On Wall Street, a rise in dismissals over ethics, New York Times, 29 March 2005. Here.
- Paul Sullivan, From wine bars to iron bars, Financial Times, 9 March 2006. Here.
- John Plender and Avinash Persaud, Failure of business ethics, FT, August 22−24, 2006. Here.
Homework for Week 3 Here.
- Ian Verrender, Crime eclipses the colour of a collar, Sydney Morning Herald, June 28, 2008. Here.
- David Brearley, HIH: moral hazard, The Australian, 19 April 2003. Here.
- Gideon Haigh, Corporate culture rot starts at the top, SMH, 7 June 2003. Here.
- Ann-Maree Moodie, Think about it, CFO: The Business End of Business, August 2003. Here.
- Gideon Haigh’s Asbestos House: The Secret History of James Hardie Industries, A Book Review By Elisabeth Sexton SMH, February 13, 2006 Here.
- AWB faces $1 billion damages lawsuit, July 11, 2006, Article from: AAP Here.
- The Economist,The ethics of business, January 20, 2005. Here.
- Warren Bennis, A corporate fear of too much truth, NYT, Feb. 17, 2002. Here.
- Norman Barry, Value systems, Ch. 2 of his Business Ethics, West Lafayette: Ichor Business Books, 1998. Here.
- E. Schnebel and M.A. Bienert, Implementing ethics in business organizations, JBE, 53: 202−211, 2004. Here.
- Bernstein, William J., Corporate finance and original sin, Financial Analysts Journal, Volume 62; Issue 3, 1 May 2006. Here.
- Thomas L. Friedman, All fall down, New York Times, November 25, 2008. Here.
- Robert Marks, Timeline of the Global Financial Crisis, September 2009. http://www.agsm.edu.au/bobm.iows/timeline.pdf Here.
Homework for Week 4 Here.
- Morgen Witzel, How to respond when only bribe money talks, Financial Times, 11 July 2005. Here.
- Michael Peel, Hurdles in countering cross-border corruption, Financial Times, 14 August 2006. Here.
- P. Steidlmeier, Gift giving, bribery and corruption: Ethical management of business relationships in China, JBE, June 1999. Here.
- Siri Schubert and T. Christian Miller, At Siemens, bribery was just a line item, New York Times, December 20, 2008. Here.
- Philip Delves Broughton, Harvard loses its lustre, Prospect Magazine, Issue 150, September 2008. Here.
Homework for Week 5 Here.
- Philip Delves Broughton, Harvard's masters of the apocalypse, The Sunday Times, March 1, 2009. Here.
- A Hippocratic Oath for Managers? mimeo, Here.
- The Enron Code of Ethics. Here.
- Geoffrey Cousins, When you step off the ledge of doubt, there are rewards, Sydney Morning Herald, August 29, 2009. Here.
- Philip Delves Broughton, A lesson in moral leadership, Financial Times, 25 April 2005. Here.
- Laura Nash, Ethics without the sermon, HBR, 1981. Here.
- Laura Nash’s Twelve important questions, mimeo. Here.
- Avinash Persaud and John Plender, Ethical framework. Financial Times, 23 August 2005 Here.
- The Economist, Ethical capitalism: how good should your business be? January 17, 2008. Here.