The Oath Refuseniks
The Daily Show interviewed six students "from Harvard and MIT" about why they hadn't signed the MBA Oath:
- "It's impossible to uphold the Oath and still be responsible to your shareholders."
- "I feel that Ethics is a really fuzzy subject."
- "It's important to be a little bit of an asshole sometimes."
What about the prospect of jail?
- "If we said we weren't worried about the consequences of our actions, we'd be lying."
- "But I'd don't think anyone here is actually going to behave in an unethical or illegal manner."
So why not sign?
- "I think we trust our integrity and our education."
- "I don't think anyone here has plans to go to prison."
- "Being ethical is not something that you learn from signing a piece of paper."
- "We want to earn your trust by our actions, not because we signed a piece of paper."
Last Updated 20 August, 2009 Robert Marks, email@example.com