- Marks, R.E. (1989) Breeding hybrid strategies: optimal behavior for oligopolists, Proceedings of the Third International Conference on Genetic Algorithms, George Mason University, June 4-7, 1989, ed. by J.David Schaffer, (San Mateo, Calif.: Morgan Kaufmann Publishers), pp.198-207. Here.
- Marks, R.E. (1992) Repeated games and finite automata, in Recent Developments in Game Theory, ed. by J. Creedy, J. Eichberger, and J. Borland (London: Edward Elgar), pp.43-64. Here.
- Marks, R.E. (1992) Breeding hybrid strategies: optimal behaviour for oligopolists, Journal of Evolutionary Economics, 2: 17-38. Here.
- Marks, R.E. (1993) Doing Economics with Computers, an EES Silver Symposium Series Videotape, (Stanford: Engineering-Economic Systems, Stanford University, March 25). Transcript here.
- Marks, R.E. (1993) Coffee price wars and the Genetic Algorithm: estimating strategies in a real-world oligopoly, (with Lee Cooper and D.F. Midgley), Emergent Structures, (A newsletter of the Economics Research Program at the Santa Fe Institute), July 1993, pp.7-8. Here.
- Marks, R.E. Niche strategies: the Prisoner's Dilemma computer tournaments revisited, conditionally accepted for publication, Computational Economics. Here.
- Midgley, D.F., Marks R.E., and Cooper L.G. (1994) Breeding competitive strategies, University of California at Los Angeles, Anderson Graduate School of Management Working Paper No. 242 and Australian Graduate School of Management Working Paper 95-001 and Santa Fe Institute Working Paper 95-06-052. (Revised, August, 1995.) (Accepted for presentation at the Seventh World Congress of the Econometric Society, Tokyo, August 1995. Here.
- Marks, R.E., Midgley D.F., and Cooper L. (1995) Adaptive behavior in an oligopoly, in Evolutionary Algorithms in Management Applications, ed. by J. Biethahn and V. Nissen, (Berlin: Springer-Verlag), pp.225-239. Here.
- Marks R.E. (1996) Evolved perception and the validation of simulation models, in Keen, S., Chiarella, C., Marks, R.E., and Schnabl, H., (eds.) Commerce, Complexity, and Evolution, Proceedings of a Conference held at the University of New South Wales, (Sydney: Conference Committee, AGSM). Here.
- Midgley, D.F., Marks, R.E., and Cooper, L.G. (1997) Breeding competitive strategies, Management Science, 43(3): 257-275. [The lead article.] Here.
- Marks R.E. (1998) Competition and common property, AGSM Working Paper 98-003, (February). Here.
- Marks, R.E. (1998), Evolved perception and behaviour in oligopolies, Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control. 22(8-9): 1209-1233. Here.
- Shiraz, G.M., Marks, R.E., Midgley, D.F., and Cooper, L.G. (1998), Using Genetic Algorithms to breed competitive marketing strategies, in Intelligent Systems for Humans in a Cyberworld, the Proceedings of the 1998 IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, La Jolla, California, USA, October 11-14, 1998: (New York: IEEE), pp. 2367-2372. Here.
- R. Standish, B. Henry, S. Watt, R. Marks, R. Stocker, D. Green, S. Keen, and T. Bossomaier (editors) (1998) Complex Systems '98: Complexity Between the Ecos: From Ecology to Economics, Proceedings of the Fourth Conference on Complex Systems, UNSW, November-December 1998, (Sydney: Conference Committee).
- Marks R.E., D.F. Midgley and L.G. Cooper (1998), Refining the Breeding of Hybrid Strategies, Working Paper 98-017, Australian Graduate School of Management, Sydney.
- Marks, R.E. (1999) Review of Neural Networks for Economic and Financial Modelling, by Andrea Beltratti, Sergio Margarita and Pietro Terna, (London: International Thomson Computer Press), 1996, Journal of Artificial Societies and Social Stimulation, 2(2): March.
- Marks, R.E., Midgley, D.F., Cooper, L.G. and Shiraz, G.M. (1999), The complexity of competitive marketing strategies, Complexity International, 6. Here.
- Marks, R.E., Midgley, D.F., Cooper, L.G. and Shiraz, G.M. (1999), Coevolution with the Genetic Algorithm: application to repeated differentiated oligopolies, In Banzhaf, W., Daida, J., Eiben, A. E., Garzon, M. H., Honavar, V., Jakiela, M., & Smith, R. E. (eds.). GECCO-99: Proceedings of the Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference, July 13-17, 1999, Orlando, Florida USA. (San Francisco, CA: Morgan Kaufmann). pp. 1609-1615. Here.
- Marks R.E., and Schnabl H. (1999) Genetic Algorithms and Neural Networks: a comparison based on the Repeated Prisoner's Dilemma, in Thomas Brenner (ed.), Computational Techniques for Modelling Learning in Economics, in the series Advances in Computational Economics, Dordrecht: Kluwer Academic Publishers, pp. 197-219. Here.
- Barnett W.A., Chiarella C., Keen S., Marks R.E., and Schnabl H. (editors) (2000) Commerce, Complexity and Evolution: Topics in Economics, Finance, Marketing and Management: Proceedings of the Twelfth International Symposium in Economic Theory and Econometrics, (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press). (See cover here.)
- Marks, R.E. (2000) Evolved perception and the validation of simulation models, in Barnett W.A., Chiarella C., Keen S., Marks R.E., and Schnabl H., (editors), Commerce, Complexity and Evolution: Topics in Economics, Finance, Marketing and Management: Proceedings of the Twelfth International Symposium in Economic Theory and Econometrics, ed. by W. A. Barnett, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, pp. 335-350. Here.
- Marks R.E., Midgley D.F., Cooper L.G. (2000) Searching for Markov Perfect Equilibria in Oligopolistic Price Wars, presented at The Industry Economics Conference Sydney, 10-11 July 2000, INSEAD Working Paper 2000/65/MKT. Here.
- Marks R.E. (2002) Playing games with Genetic Algorithms, in S.-H. Chen (editor), Evolutionary Computation in Economics and Finance, (New York: Springer-Verlag). Here.
- Drake A.E. and Marks R.E. (2002) Genetic algorithms in economics and finance: forecasting stock market prices and foreign exchange -- a review, in Genetic Algorithms and Genetic Programming in Computational Finance, ed. by Shu-Heng Chen, (Boston: Kluwer), Chapter 2, pp. 29-54. Here.
- Marks R.E. (2006), Market design using agent-based models, Chapter 27, in the Handbook of Computational Economics, Volume 2: Agent-Based Modeling, edited by Leigh Tesfatsion and Kenneth L. Judd, in the series Handbooks in Economics, (general editors K. Arrow and M. D. Intriligator), (Amsterdam: Elsevier Science), pp. 1339-1380. Here
- Marks R.E. (2006), Validation and Functional Complexity, in T. Terano, S. Takahashi, D. Sallach, and J. Rouchier (eds.), The First World Congress on Social Simulation, August 21-25, 2006, Kyoto University, Kyoto, Japan, Proceedings Volume 2, pp. 393-401. Here.
- Marks R.E., Midgley D.F., Cooper L.G. (2006), Co-evolving better strategies in oligopolistic price wars, in Handbook of Research on Nature-Inspired Computing for Economy and Management, edited by Jean-Philippe Rennard, (Hershey, PA: Idea Group Inc.), Ch. 52. Here
- Midgley D.F., Marks R.E., and Kunchamwar D. (2007), The building and assurance of agent-based models: an example and challenge to the field, Journal of Business Research, Special Issue: Complexities in Markets, 60(8): 884-893, August. Here.
- Marks, R.E. (2007), Validating simulation models: a general framework and four applied examples, Computational Economics, 30(3): 265-290, October. Here.
- Marks, R. E. (2010), Comparing Two Sets of Time-Series: The State Similarity Measure, In 2010 Joint Statistical Meetings Proceedings -- Statistics: A Key to Innovation in a Data-centric World, Statistical Computing Section. Alexandria, VA: American Statistical Association, pp. 539-551. (The Joint Statistical Meetings are held under the aegis of the American Statistical Association, the International Biometric Society (Eastern North American Region, Western North American Region), the Institute of Mathematical Statistics, the Statistical Society of Canada, the International Chinese Statistical Association, and the International Indian Statistical Association.) Here.
- Marks, R.E. (2012), Analysis and synthesis: multi-agent systems in the social sciences, The Knowledge Engineering Review 27(2): 123-136. Here.
- Marks, R.E. (2013), Validation and model selection: three measures compared, Complexity Economics, 2: 41-61, May. Here. and Here.
http://www.complexityandeconomics.com/ , DOI: 10.7564/13-COEC10
Marks R.E. (2016), Monte Carlo, in The Palgrave Encyclopedia of Strategic Management, edited by David Teece and Mie Augier, (London: Palgrave). Here.
Marks R.E. (2018), Validation metrics: a case for pattern-based methods, to appear in Beisbart, Claus, and Nicole J. Saam (eds.), Computer Simulation Validation. Fundamental Concepts, Methodological Frameworks, Philosophical Perspectives Cham: Springer International Publishing, Chapter 12. Here.